Articles of the Day 2/13/14: If you can’t beat them extort them
“It is this last point that has raised suspicions about the ultimate aim of the BDS movement. Writing in the New York Times, Roger Cohen, who is often critical of Israeli policy, nonetheless concludes that the BDS movement has a “hidden agenda,” which he states is “the end of Israel as a Jewish state.” Indeed, Barghouti wrote back in December 2003 that his goal is a one-state solution, which he defines earlier in the same article as a unitary state in which “by definition, Jews will be a minority.” Nevertheless, he is outraged by Cohen’s charge, calling him “a bigot, not a liberal.”
Summary of the ten is here, please read more at the source:
1. The BDS movement immorally imposes the entire blame for the continuing Israeli occupation and settlement policy on the Israelis.
2. The current BDS movement, especially in Europe and on some American university campuses, emboldens the Palestinians to reject compromise solutions to the conflict.
3. The BDS movement is immoral because its leaders will never be satisfied with the kind of two state solution that is acceptable to Israel.
4. The BDS movement is immoral because it violates the core principle of human rights: namely, “the worst first.”
5. The BDS movement is immoral because it would hurt the wrong people: it would hurt Palestinian workers who will lose their jobs if economic sanctions are directed against firms that employ them.
6. The BDS movement is immoral because it would encourage Iran—the world’s leading facilitator of international terrorism—to unleash its surrogates, such as Hezbollah and Hamas, against Israel, in the expectation that if Israel were to respond to rocket attacks, the pressure for BDS against Israel would increase, as it did when Israel responded to thousands of rockets from Gaza in 2008-2009.
7. The BDS movement is immoral because it focuses the world’s attention away from far greater injustices, including genocide.
8. The BDS movement is immoral because it promotes false views regarding the nation state of the Jewish people, exaggerates its flaws and thereby promotes a new variation on the world’s oldest prejudice, namely anti-Semitism.
9. The BDS movement is immoral because it reflects and encourages a double standard of judgment and response regarding human rights violations.
10. The BDS movement will never achieve its goals. Neither the Israeli government nor the Israeli people will ever capitulate to the extortionate means implicit in BDS.
“All decent people who seek peace in the Middle East should join together in opposing the immoral BDS movement. Use your moral voices to demand that both the Israeli government and the Palestinian Authority accept a compromise peace that assures the security of Israel and the viability of a peaceful and democratic Palestinian state. The way forward is not by immoral extortionate threats that do more harm than good, but rather by negotiations, compromise and good will.”
BDS is an attempt at Arab influenced political and economic sanctions on Israel.
“In the same breath, however, Rouhani warned that Iran would issue a harsh response against any attackers – including the West, Israel, and any other state that challenges Iranian “supremacy.”
“Senior officials from the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) confirmed Wednesday that Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu has rejected Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s demands to provide a written statement saying the Israeli “siege” on Gaza has been lifted, according to Ha’aretz.”
It seems Erdogan works out of the same playbook as Abbas by pretending to negotiate then making impossible demands.
“Preempting the American framework agreement for a Palestinian-Israeli peace deal expected within weeks, the Palestinian presidency on Wednesday issued a list of “red lines” stating PA President Mahmoud Abbas’s nonnegotiable positions.”
When one side does nothing but make demands and threats it is no longer negotiation….it is extortion.
“Extortion is an operation in which money and/or property is transported illegally. Refraining from doing harm is sometimes euphemistically called protection. Extortion is commonly practiced by organized crime groups. The actual obtainment of money or property is not required to commit the offense. Making a threat of violence which refers to a requirement of a payment of money or property to halt future violence is sufficient to commit the offense. Exaction refers not only to extortion or the unlawful demanding and obtaining of something through force,but additionally, in its formal definition, means the infliction of something such as pain and suffering or making somebody endure something unpleasant.”
What the world is doing to Israel is nothing short of a crime. Boycotts, Sanctions, Divestments, and Intifadas. These are all threats made against Israel over the past 6 months by the US, EU and the Palestinians. When the world extorts Israel they are extorting God. Is there any wonder why God would exact judgement on the world? When God talks of justice in the Bible this is what he is referring too. And the justice is so richly deserved. Shame on those who curse Israel.
“But he had little faith in the ability of the Obama administration to solve the issue, given the lack of resolve in Washington to keep a convincing military option on the table.
“It would excellent if we had a President who was willing to take firm stand and put that kind of fear in the hearts of the mullahs in Iran. But we don’t, and therefore there is only one military force in the middle east that’s capable of keeping Iran from getting a nuclear weapon, and that’s the IDF.”
This sneaky article is was really an advertisement to free Pollard since 90% of article was about that topic instead of the lead the headline they ran with. I think it safe to say the Israelis are obsessed with this and they are burning way too much political capitol on securing his freedom. The guy got caught selling American defense secrets for money and he deserves his imprisonment, sorry, but that is just the truth of it. I guess if you are going release terrorists yourself for nothing then you probably don’t see the value of incarceration anyway.
“A senior Iranian official said Monday that Hezbollah’s arsenal of weapons in Lebanon has deemed Israel’s Iron Dome rocket defense system “a theoretical joke.”
Iran’s Fars News Agency quoted the Iranian Parliament Speaker’s top adviser for international affairs, Hossein Sheikholeslam as saying, “Now Hezbollah has tens of thousands of missiles ready to be fired at Israel.”
I get the feeling Iran and Hezbollah won’t be laughing when God judges them through the IDF. If they are so confident why don’t they just attack, overwhelm the the IDF and finish off Israel once and for all right now?
“Although the Egyptian strongman Gen. Abdul-Fattah El-Sisi has not official announced his run for the presidency, Russian President Vladimir greeted him warmly in Moscow Wednesday, saying: “I know that you, mister defense minister, have decided to run for president of Egypt. I wish you luck both from myself personally and from the Russian people.” Field Marshal Sisi is in Moscow to conclude a $2bn arms deal to replace some of the weapons withheld by Washington after Mohamed Morsi was overthrown. Field Marshal Sisi said: “Our visit offers a new start to the development of military and technological co-operation between Egypt and Russia. We hope to speed up this co-operation.”
Out of all of Obama’s foreign policy failures, and there are many, this one stings the most. That treaty between Israel and Egypt is slowly fading away. The US has no influence with Egypt now.
“Israeli defense specialist Rafael (Booth N51) has unveiled a new system to tackle short-range mortar and rocket threats, and close-in air threats such as UAVs. Rather than employing a projectile to destroy incoming threats, the new Iron Beam system uses a high-energy laser (HEL).”
“Building on its success with the Iron Dome CRAM (counter rockets and mortar) rapid-reaction interceptor system that has been deployed by the Israel Defence Force, Rafael has devised the Iron Beam HEL to defeat a range of threats that require rapid reaction. The system can be operated from a fixed installation, or can be vehicle-mounted for rapid deployment into the field to protect critical installations or population centers. Iron Beam is not seen as a replacement for Iron Dome, as the limitations of laser attenuation in the atmosphere dictate that it is restricted to close-in engagements.”
And it is no joke.